Try these easy tips for showing some affection in ways your dog can understand.
- Pet your dog on the neck and chest.
- Let your dog sit and lay with you on the couch. The contact is comforting for both of you. Lay a blanket over the cushions if you’re concerned about hair.
- Gently massage the top of your dog’s head and ears.
- Pet your dog for a brief period, then stop. If he nuzzles you, he likes it and wants some more.
- Invite your dog over to you. If your dog doesn’t immediately come, they’re not in the mood to play.
- Engage in light play that can give both of you some exercise, such as fetch or hide-and-seek.
- Reward your dog after playtime with petting around his neck and chest.
- Exercise! Take your dog for a long walk or jog. Many dogs are under-exercised, and taking them for a run will show them you care.